Removal and Disposal of Oil Tanks
NEW YORK CITY ADMINISTRATIVE CODE TITLE 29
NEW YORK CITY FIRE CODE
3404.2.14 Removal and disposal of tanks.
Removal and disposal of tanks shall comply with the requirements of Sections 3404.2.14.1 and 3404.2.14.2.
3404.2.14.1 Removal. Removal of aboveground and underground tanks shall be in compliance with the following requirements:
1. Flammable and combustible liquids shall be removed from the tank and connecting piping.
2. The tank and connecting piping shall be rendered free of flammable and combustible vapors using an inert gas.
3. Piping at tank openings shall be disconnected.
4. Piping shall be removed from the premises. Exception: Piping may be sealed in place where the commissioner determines that removal is not practical. Sealed in place piping shall be capped and safeguarded by filling with concrete or other approved material, and the fill connection removed from the fill pipe.
5. Tank openings shall be capped or plugged, leaving a 0.125-inch to 0.25-inchdiameter (3.2 mm to 6.4 mm) opening for pressure equalization.
6. Tanks shall be removed from the premises.
3404.2.14.2 Disposal. Tanks and piping shall be disposed of lawfully.
(d) Permanently Out-of-Service Storage Systems
(C) For fuel oil storage systems with a total capacity of 330 gallons or less, the closure shall be performed by a person holding a certificate of license or by a person who is employed and supervised by a person holding such certificate, by a person holding an oil-burning equipment installer license issued by the Department of Buildings or by a person who is employed by and under the direct supervision of a person holding such license, or a plumber licensed by the Department of Buildings.
(2) Affidavit of compliance. The owner or operator of a permanently out-of-service storage system or the permit holder for such system shall file with the Department an affidavit certifying that such system was removed and disposed of, or abandoned in place, in compliance with the requirements of FC Chapter 34 and this section. Such affidavit shall be executed by a person with the requisite qualifications to supervise the closure of such tanks.